Child support is a critical issue for many families in Texas. It can be a complicated topic, and many parents have questions about their rights and obligations.

In this article, I will answer 10 of the most frequently asked questions about child support in Texas.

1. What is child support?

Child support is a legal obligation for a parent to financially support their child. It is intended to help the parent who has custody provide for the child’s basic needs, such as food, shelter, clothing, healthcare, and education.

2. How is child support calculated in Texas?

The amount of child support is calculated using the Texas Child Support Guidelines. These guidelines take into account the following factors:

  • The income of the non-primary parent
  • The number of children
  • The age of the children
  • The amount of time each parent spends with the children
  • The cost of health insurance for the children
  • Any extraordinary expenses for the children, such as medical or educational needs

3. What if I don’t agree with the amount of child support I am ordered to pay?

If you do not agree with the amount of child support you are ordered to pay, you have the right to file an objection with the court. The court will then hold a hearing to review the child support amount.

4. Can I modify my child support order?

Yes, you can modify your child support order if there has been a material change in circumstances since the order was entered. This could include a change in income, a change in custody arrangements, or the addition of new children.

5. What happens if I don’t pay my child support?

If you don’t pay your child support, you could face a number of consequences, including:

  • Wage garnishment
  • Tax refund interception
  • Driver’s license suspension
  • Passport denial
  • Contempt of court charges

6. What if my child’s other parent is incarcerated?

If your child’s other parent is incarcerated, they may still be obligated to pay child support. The court will consider the parent’s income and assets when determining the amount of child support.

7. What happens to child support when my child turns 18?

In Texas, child support generally ends when the child turns 18 or graduates from high school, whichever is later. However, there are some exceptions to this rule. For example, child support may continue if the child is disabled or has special needs.

8. What if my child’s other parent lives in another state?

If your child’s other parent lives in another state, you can still enforce your child support order. The Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA) is a federal law that makes it easier to enforce child support orders across state lines.

9. What happens if my ex won’t pay child support?

Thankfully, Texas has several enforcement mechanisms in place to protect your child’s financial well-being. The first thing you should do is file a complaint by contacting the Texas Attorney General’s Office, Child Support Division, and file a complaint regarding the non-payment. They will initiate enforcement proceedings on your behalf.

10. Should I hire an attorney to help me with my child support case?

An attorney can help you understand your rights and obligations under the law. They can also represent you in court and help you negotiate a child support order that is fair and just.


Child support is a complex issue, but it is important to understand your rights and obligations. If you have any questions about child support, I encourage you to speak with an attorney here at Lundberg Law. Call us at 972-775-3500 or schedule a free consultation online.

I hope this article has been helpful. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Write a comment: